Negotiation And Leadership
Negotiation skills are used by leaders to understand the interests of those they lead and to find ways to satisfy those interests.
Influential leaders seek to understand the interests of those they lead and find ways to satisfy those interests to achieve organizational goals through negotiation. Leadership skills are essential in any negotiation because successful outcomes are more likely when both parties can benefit.
Relationships are just as meaningful in leadership as they are in negotiation. Positive relationships are meaningful because they foster trust, essential for obtaining desired actions from others.
Finding your voice is one of many ways to improve your leadership abilities.
When the poet Walt Whitman said, “Surely, whoever speaks to me in the right voice, he or she shall I follow,” he expressed the idea that persuasive communication is essential for effective leadership. Whitman’s words also highlight the significance of tailoring leadership communications to individual concerns, interests, and styles.
Recognize that the medium you choose reveals something about you and your relationship with the person you are attempting to lead (e.g., a memo vs. a face-to-face meeting).
Building negotiation leadership skills entails analyzing complex negotiation case studies and learning various sophisticated competitive and cooperative negotiating strategies. Leadership almost always involves negotiation, and good leaders are invariably good negotiators.
Negotiation And Leadership
TOPIC -NEGOTIATION IN LEADERSHIP
- Introduction/Description of Topic (fully introduce and describe topic in relevance to leaders/leadership)
- Background information of Topic (provide in-depth background information)
- Analysis/Discussion (what does the literature say – dig in the literature (at least *2 references. Provide relevant models or charts to assist discussion)
- Application to Organizational Leadership (Provide pertinent application of topic to leadership within an organization – provide key components and examples, is the culture of the organization integral to this style or competency?)
- Application to Clinical Leadership (Provide pertinent application of topic to leadership within the clinical nursing site – provide key components and examples, is the culture of the clinical nursing site integral to this style or competency?)
- Example of a Famous Leader that demonstrates this topic – Choose an example of a Leader (past or present) that exemplifies the chosen leadership competency/style. Choose anyone – historical, political, scientific, nursing, medicine, business, military, etc. Describe why this individual fits a particular leadership competency or style. (Collaborative presentations – each choose 1 leader)
Tables and/or charts, models, etc. are very helpful and are strongly encouraged