Learning Theories & Principles And Quality Health Care
Healthcare is an art as well as a science. Many people in the industry are unaware that systems and processes can coexist with personalized care. Quality improvement methods in healthcare can be as effective as in other industries (e.g., agriculture, manufacturing, etc.). Given the amount of wasteful healthcare spending in the United States, quality improvement in healthcare is achievable and an absolute necessity. Organizations can reduce wasteful spending while improving processes by implementing the following five guiding principles:
1. Hands-on improvement projects can aid adoption.
2. Define quality and obtain consensus.
3. Measure for improvement rather than accountability.
4. Use PDSA cycles and a quality improvement framework.
5. Learn from data variation. Organizations can accelerate the pace of quality improvement in healthcare by applying these principles and starting small.